Operators of a new CCC siege operator were given “no orders” on Wednesday to remain in the area where a man died in an attack on a house and a nearby business in County Armagh last month, CCC chief constable John O’Connor said.
“We have been given no instructions that these people are to leave,” Mr O’Connell said.
The incident in the town of Lismore came after gardaí raided the home of a CCC member on March 15 after receiving a report of a disturbance.
A resident reported hearing voices and hearing voices on the phone, Mr O”Connor said, adding that the man was found to be suffering from a gunshot wound.
He said it was too early to speculate about what happened that night, adding “the details we have so far are still under investigation”.
The siege operator was the first of the three new operators deployed to Armagh, the largest city in the north of the county, which has seen a sharp rise in the number of people injured by gunfire in the past two weeks.
A spokesman for the Co Dáil garda union, Sean McKeown, said the group had not received any instructions about where to stay.
“This is completely unacceptable and we are calling on the DáIL to take action and force the garda to respond appropriately,” Mr McKeowy said.
He added that “it is extremely concerning” that operators had been given “limited and misleading” instructions on the issue of how to conduct themselves.
Mr McMcKeowys union, which represents thousands of CCC members, said it had called for an investigation into what happened in Lismorore.
A CCC spokesman said it would not comment on operational matters, but would provide more information when asked.
The man who died in the Lismora attack was believed to have been shot twice in the head.